The scholarship fund provides financial assistance for post-secondary education to dependent students of workers who have sustained a work-related injury. Scholarship awards will be made annually and are renewable up to four years, contingent on good academic standing. The Beacon Brighter Tomorrows Scholarship is listed on the scholarship opportunities page in the Rhode Island Foundation website.
- Be a dependent child whose parent sustained a work-related injury with an employer who had workers’ compensation insurance with The Beacon Mutual Insurance Company and whose parent collected at least six (6) months of qualifying indemnity benefits with at least some of the payment occurring during the past calendar year
- Be a dependent child whose parent sustained a work-related injury with an employer who had workers’ compensation insurance with The Beacon Mutual Insurance Company and whose parent collected for an accepted permanently total disability or dependent(s) collected for an accepted fatal claim, either resulting in a favorable and final resolution
- Accepted into an accredited post-secondary institution (including an academic, trade, or vocational program) on a full-time or part-time basis
- Maintained a grade point average of “C” or better for the past two years
- Be a United States citizen or legal resident
- Has demonstrated financial need
- Click here to access the online application.
A completed application includes:
- A completed application including financial aid information
- Most recent high school transcript
- A copy of your student aid report calculated upon completion of the FAFSA
- One recommendation from an educator or mentor
- Proof of acceptance to an accredited two- or four-year college, university, or vocational/technical school
Applications must be submitted on the Rhode Island Foundation website by 5pm on June 16, 2017.