Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Click the drop-down arrow to select another category of FAQs:

How do I access Loss Prevention documents, forms, and recommendations?

​Log into your Beaconnect account. Once you have logged in, click the My Business tab and enter your policy number. Click Go to view view policy information and scroll down to the Loss Prevention tab to view a list of Loss Prevention documents associated with your policy.  If you do not have an account click here to open Beaconnect and click the Register Online link.

Back to the Top

Why is it important to have a written safety and health program?

​A written safety program shows management concern and commitment for employee safety and health. It outlines steps the company will take to identify and control hazards, provides an opportunity to evaluate (and possibly revise) work practices, and helps make employees aware of safety issues.

A program stressing that safety is everyone's business benefits both employer and employees: It prevents injuries to workers, provides for documentation and investigation of any incidents that do occur, and can help reduces the employer's claim costs.


Back to the Top

How much does Beacon charge for Loss Prevention services?

​All Loss Prevention services are free of charge to our policyholders​.

Back to the Top

How do Beacon Loss Prevention inspections differ from OSHA inspections?

​Beacon’s loss prevention consultants work with policyholders to identify and help eliminate hazards in the workplace. Beacon uses OSHA standards as a guide and minimum baseline for identifying unsafe conditions or practices. OSHA is a branch of the federal government charged with enforcing safety standards. OSHA's mission is to assure the safety and health of America's workers by setting and enforcing standards; providing training, outreach, and education; establishing partnerships; and encouraging continual improvement in workplace safety and health.​

Back to the Top

Why does Loss Prevention need to visit my company, when we haven't had any injuries?

​Even if you have never experienced a claim, the Loss Prevention Department conducts an overall risk assessment for the Underwriting Department. Once your risks are determined, we can assist policyholders through proactive controls, recommendations, resources and training.  We believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.​

Back to the Top

Should my company establish a safety committee?

​Yes. Even if your company has a good safety record, safety committees help keep safety a priority. Safety committees can help improve employee awareness levels toward safety by talking about prevention measures. The committee should also be involved with reviewing safety policies and procedures. If your committee is lacking excitement, invite an outside safety person to present to your committee, such as a loss prevention person from Beacon Mutual or your local fire department.​

Back to the Top

Where can we get information on the R.I. fire codes?

​The State of Rhode Island has a good web resource for the RI Fire Codes:​​

Back to the Top

Can anyone wear a respirator?

​No. Employers must have a written respiratory protection plan prior to the use of respirators, this plan shall include selection of respirators; medical evaluation of employees prior to wearing respirator; fit testing procedures for tight-fitting respirators; procedures and schedules for cleaning, disinfecting, storing, inspecting, repairing, discarding, and otherwise maintaining respirators; and training of employees in the respiratory hazards to which they are potentially exposed during routine and emergency situations.

The employer shall provide a medical evaluation by a physician or other licensed health care professional to determine the employee's ability to use a respirator, before the employee is required to use the respirator in the workplace. Employees must also be fit-tested to determine the correct size respirator they will need to be completely protected prior to issuance of respirator.


Back to the Top

When is an OSHA 10-Hour Construction Safety & Health card mandatory for Rhode Island construction site work?

​You will need an OSHA 10-Hour Construction card whenever you begin work on any Rhode Island municipal or state job that is $100,000 or more in total contract value. This also includes any employee who visits the site from your company. For instance, you may have a "roving" superintendent or project manager who may visit the job infrequently. He or she is still mandated to have the card. In addition, any of your suppliers or vendors need to have this card even if they are only delivering stock or supplies to the project but have to step or drive inside the footprint of the construction site. The only employees that are exempt are municipal, state, or federal employees.​

Back to the Top

How do I determine what Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is necessary?

​Employers must conduct a hazard assessment of the workplace prior to placing employees in PPE. OSHA calls this the Workplace Hazard Assessment.

Back to the Top